Kella surgical care
Over the years, I've had nurses and patients complement me on my attitude and demeanor on the surgical floors. Of course, I've had some complaints and advice given as well. I just read an article going over habits of physicians that resonate with patients. Some I already do, others are new and worth trying out.

Patients appreciate the white coat, despite the rise in blood pressure that comes with the anxiety it also provokes. Sitting down during rounds, which seems inefficient to a surgeon, actually increases the perception that surgeons are listening by over 50%. In addition, it doesn't add extra time and may rest our aging knees!

Having the nursing staff accompany the surgeon during rounds improves patient care and allows the staff to relay concerns and reduce follow-up calls. Keeping the family in the room during rounds achieves a similar effect.

All in all, most of this is common sense, but it doesn't hurt to review and try out new things to improve patient outcome.